James Alison Online Resources
Search Links Below
- Alison, James - Advent and Christmas Lectionary Meditations
These lectionary meditations are slightly edited versions of the texts written for, and published by, The Christian Century magazine for each of the six Sundays between 1st Sunday of Advent (2 December 2007) and Epiphany (6th January 2008).
- Alison, James - An Atonement Update
- Alison, James - Being saved and being wrong
- Alison, James - Blindsided by God: Reconciliation from the underside
Presentation for “Anatomy of Reconciliation” Conference, Trinity Institute, New York City, 30 January – 1 Feb 2006
- Alison, James - Brokeheart Mountain: Reflections on monotheism, idolatry and the Kingdom
Presentation for the annual COV&R Conference held in St Mary’s University, Twickenham, London, 8-12 July 2009. This talk was given as part of a day of discussion with distinguished Muslim scholars concerning the “fearful symmetries” between Christiani
- Alison, James - Collapsing the closet in the house of God: Opening the door on gay/straight issues
Cardoner Lecture at Creighton University (Omaha, USA), 27 September 2005
- Alison, James - Contemplation and Monotheism: On the Indispensability of Irrelevance
Talk for the Julian Fest, of the Order of Julian of Norwich, held at Schoenstatt Retreat Center, Waukesha, Wisconsin, on May 10th 2003
- Alison, James - Deliver us from evil
Presentation for A Conference on Evil: A two day Dialogue among Psychoanalysts, Philosophers and Theologians, organised by the Metropolitan Center for Mental Health and the Metropolitan Institute for Training in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy. New York City
- Alison, James - Discipleship and the Shape of Belonging
Talk for Conference on Discipleship and the City (Villanova University, 3-5 October 2006)
- Alison, James - Ecclesiology and Indifference: Challenges for Gay and Lesbian Ministry
- Alison, James - Finding a narrative (Matthew 9.10-13)
Homily for BBC Radio 4 Sunday Worship (29 April 2007) recorded at Most Holy Redeemer parish, San Francisco, 22 October 2006 (Unabridged).
- Alison, James - Following the still small voice: Experience, truth and argument as lived by Catholics around the gay issue
A lecture sponsored by Boston College Allies, and originally given in Boston College on 18th November 2003.
- Alison, James - From impossibility to responsibility: developing new narratives for gay catholic living
Talk for the Georgetown University LGBTQ Center, January 27th 2010 as part of the series entitled The Sacred and The Sexual: Deepening the Conversation on Campus
- Alison, James - Girard and the analogy of desire
Presentation for the Symposium on René Girard and World Religions, G.T.U. Berkeley, April 14th-16th 2011.
- Alison, James - Girard’s breakthrough
- Alison, James - God and Desire
Presentation for the 2007 Quest Conference, Sheffield (England), 21 July 2007.
- Alison, James - Good-faith learning and the fear of God
This text originally appeared in a collection of essays Opening Up: Speaking Out in the Church.
- Alison, James - Halo Effect (Is.60:1-6; Ps. 72:1-7, 10-14; Eph. 3:1-12; Matt. 2:1-12)
- Alison, James - Honesty as challenge, honesty as gift: What way forward for gay and lesbian Catholics?
Talk for Fordham University Catholic Chaplaincy, 11 November 2003
- Alison, James - How do we talk about the Spirit?
London Centre for Spirituality, 13 May 2007. [Transcription] "How do we talk about the Spirit?" - was a day of ecumenical discussion and exploration, seeking deeper understanding of the many meanings underlying our use of the word ‘spirit’.
- Alison, James - Human Sexuality... or Ecclesial Discourse?
A presentation for the Sarum Consultation on Human Sexuality and the Churches, 9-10 February 2004.
- Alison, James - Interiew entitled "Sexuality, Certainty and Salvation"
Priest and theologian James Alison believes that there are bright glimmers of hope to be found in the Catholic Church's wrestling with issues around homosexuality. He reflects on his own experience as a gay Catholic, on the givenness of sexual orientation
- Alison, James - Interview entitled "Violence Undone"
- Alison, James - Interview with Mark Tully
BBC Radio 4, Something Understood, Christmas Eve 2006
- Alison, James - Interview: Befriending a Vengeful God
One of the rising stars of Catholic theology, Father James Alison of England, re-thinks the atonement - the death of Jesus as the means of salvation.
- Alison, James - Interview: Challenging deceptive sacrificial notions in Christianity
- Alison, James - Is it ethical to be Catholic?
This talk represents Alison's participation in a panel discussion for lgbt people in Most Holy Redeemer Parish Church, San Francisco, 12 February 2006.
- Alison, James - Justification by Faith
Excerpt from Knowing Jesus pages 80-84, 89-93.
- Alison, James - Letter of response to friends in the aftermath of the Vatican Instruction of 29 November 2005
- Alison, James - Letter to a young gay Catholic
This article was written for, and appears in the International Catholic Theological Review Concilium in the issue dedicated to “Homosexualities” (2008/1).
- Alison, James - Living the Magnificat
Talk for the conference held by Affirming Catholicism in Durham, England, 7-10 September 2006
- Alison, James - Looking backwards for Christmas
- Alison, James - Love Your Enemy: Within a Divided Self
The second lecture in the Autumn Education Programme, given at St Martin-in-the Fields Church, Trafalgar Square, London on 30 October 2007. “Love your enemy” is the overall title for the series
- Alison, James - On helping the Faithful negotiate confusion
This is a very slightly edited version of the text of James Alison’s response to Professor Haldane in The Tablet 3 March 2007.
- Alison, James - On Helping the Faithful Negotiate Confusion
From the Tablet - Alison takes issue with John Haldane's criticism of Westminster's new outreach to gay people, published on the preceding pages. He maintains the outreach is faithful to teaching, and courageous
- Alison, James - Prayer: a case study in mimetic anthropology
This is the tentative text of one of the twelve sessions of The Forgiving Victim – the Adult Introduction to Christianity on which Alison is working
- Alison, James - Prodded to Life (Is. 11:1-10; Ps. 72:1-7, 18-19; Rom. 15:4-13; Matt. 3:1-12)
- Alison, James - Punctured
- Alison, James - Reading the Signs (Is. 7:10-16; Ps. 80:1-7, 17-19; Rom. 1:1-7; Matt. 1:18-25)
- Alison, James - Review of "The Curse of Cain:The Violent Legacy of Monotheism by Regina M. Schwartz" entitled "Ambivalent Obsession"
- Alison, James - Risk and Fulfillment (Is. 63:7-9; Ps. 148; Heb.2:10-18; Matt. 2:13-23)
- Alison, James - Sacrifice, Law and the Catholic Faith: is secularity really the enemy?
The Tablet Lecture 2006
- Alison, James - Show Us The Father
Sermon for the 5th Sunday of Easter (John 14:1-12), House of Mercy, St. Paul, Minnesota, 24 April 2005
- Alison, James - Some thoughts on the Atonement
A transcript of a talk given in Brisbane, Australia, in August 2004.
- Alison, James - Spluttering Up the Beach to Nineveh
Excerpt from James Alison's Faith Beyond Resentment: Fragments Catholic and Gay, New York: Crossroads, 2001, pages 86-104.
- Alison, James - Staggered Vision
Sermon at an Easter Sunday evening Baptism House of Mercy, St Paul, Minnesota, 27 March 2005
- Alison, James - Stretched Hearts (Is.:1-10; Ps. 146:5-10; Lk. 1:47-55; James 5:7-10; Matt. 11:2-11
- Alison, James - Strong Protagonism and Weak Presence: The Changes in Tone of The Voice of God
A contribution to the Second Colloquium entitled “Post-modern or post-secular Christianity? Two interpretations of late modernity” which took place at the Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City, on the 5th and 6th of September 2007.
- Alison, James - The Fulcrum of Discovery or: how the “gay thing” is good news for the Catholic Church
- Alison, James - The Good Shepherd
- Alison, James - The pain and the endgame: reflections on a whimper
- Alison, James - The Priestly pattern of Creation and a fraudulent reading of St Paul: A Catholic reads some Pauline texts in the light of Mimetic Theory
- Alison, James - Those with eyes to see
- Alison, James - Three Holy Week Sermons
All Saints' Episcopal Church, Atlanta, Georgia (10 - 12 April 2006)
- Alison, James - Unbinding the Gay Conscience
- Alison, James - What sorts of difference does René Girard make to how we read the Bible?
Presentation for the 2009 Theology and Peace Conference, a gathering of lay people and clergy from many different denominations who are interested in furthering the impact of Girard’s thought through their preaching, teaching and pastoral practice, Chicag
- Alison, James - Worship in a violent world
A transcript of a talk given in Brisbane, Australia, in August 2004.
- Alison, James - Wrath and the gay question: on not being afraid, and its ecclesial shape
Talk originally prepared for the Salisbury Diocese Clergy Conference at Swanwick (4-7 July 2006) with a view to its later presentation at Mount St Agnes Theological Center for Women, Baltimore (11 October 2006)
- Alison, James - Wrestling with God and Men: Conversation with Steven Greenberg
- Alison, James - Yes, but is it true...?
The Roman Catholic Caucus of the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement held a meeting in St Anne's Church, Soho on Sunday 3rd August 2003 to respond to the UK government's proposals concerning same-sex partnership rights. The following was an impromptu theol
- Alison, James - “But the Bible says...”? A Catholic reading of Romans 1
A talk for Mount Saint Agnes Theological Center for Women, Baltimore, 12 January 2004.
- Alison, James - “He opened up to them everything in the Scriptures concerning himself” (Lk 24, 27b): How can we recover Christological and Ecclesial habits of Catholic Bible Reading?
Lecture for the “Voices of Renewal” Lecture series at Corpus Christi University Parish, Toledo, Ohio, 9 October 2007
- Alison, James - “Like being dragged through a bush backwards”: Hints of the shape of conversion’s adventure - by James Alison
Talk for Charles Sturt University, Canberra, 14th September 2010.
- Alison, James - “Like children sitting in the market place”: a teaching on Wisdom, vanity and desire
Third William H. Shannon Lecture, Nazareth College, Rochester, NY - 8 Feb 2007 (delivered under the title “Don’t run away from desire: holiness starting where you are”)
- Hefling, Charles - A view from the stern: James Alison's theology (so far)
- Review of James Alison "Raising Abel" by Stanley Hauerwas
- Review of James Alison, "The Joy of Being Wrong" by James G. Williams
Posts on Alison on this site